Subject: Re: 'missing' X resources
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Duncan Ferguson <d.ferguson@worc.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/01/1996 09:30:14
Text quoted from David Croft:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Robert Black wrote:
>
> > On Oct 30,  3:09pm, Duncan Ferguson wrote:
>
> > > /usr/X11 ...to... /usr/X11R6.1
> > [snip]
> > These links should not be there and indeed they can break things.
>
> I have had to put this one in as some software (I think it may have been
> xfm) was looking for it. So I now have /usr/X11/ and /usr/X11R6/ both
> symbolically linked to /usr/X11R6.1/. Is this okay?

I had a hunt within the fvwm config file (system.fvwm) and there are
3 user definable paths that pointed toresources for X outside of
X11R6.1 directory which doesnt exist.  I changed the paths to
point to /usr/X11R6.1/ and it works.  Well, up to a point, but more
of that in a mo.  This is why i was wondering earlier whether or not
there was a problem with my installation 'cos some programs are
looking for X resources outside of X11R6.1.

Also found a problem with 'man' looking for pages - in man.conf both
X11 and X11R6 were defined, but no X11R6.1, so i couldnt get any help
on anything for a while (until i changed man.conf).

Is it definitly the case that the install sets are putting everything
into the right place and the man paths and X resources are looking in
the wrong place, or the other way around?  I am confused.

> I must say that I haven't had any problems whatsoever with X, and it is
> all running very stably with fvwm, xfm, nedit, mosaic, xlock, xclock, etc.

Can you tell me how you did it then?  More or less whenever i call
startx, X bombs out with a memory fault, sometimes gets further so i
can start nedit, but so far hasnt lasted very long.  I am wondering
that if David got it working OK whether there is a pysical problem with my
memory.  (8MB board with 30 Mg swap - I am going to have a closer look at the
physical memory to see if there is a problemt)

> Oh - one question. Can I get that blue/green startup screen back? It was nice.

I second that vote - how about the current screen super-imposed on
the blue/green one? ;o)

Hope everyone enjoys AW - unfortunatly i cant make it again
*sigh*

Cheers,

  Duncs.