Subject: Re: Ether1
To: Matt <matthew@xania.uk.org>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/30/1996 18:00:33
>Consulting the PRMs I cannot manualy track down the problem from the Risc
>OS side - as I can't even find it myself so I have no idea how
>PoduleManager finds it.  Mayhaps once it has RO has booted it maps the
>podule somewhere else...>fx of straw clutching<.  I did notice (while
>disassembling PoduleManager) that the Ether1 recognition seems hardcoded
>into it - but then AFAICT Ether1 is a 'simple podule' (type 12 ISTR) so I
>can't see why RiscBSD isn't picking it up.

Recognision of indiviual podules is coded into the podulebus driver and the
assosciated podule drivers since there is no other way for RiscBSD to attach
the correct driver to the correct podule.

Does the podulebus probe say anything about the podule

e.g.
Non-Acorn conformant expansion card
Simple expansion card <%x>
or report an manufacturer and product id ?

if so which.

The podulebus driver examines the podule header to identify the card.
The currently supported ether1 podule is one that reports a manufacturer of 0
(Acorn) and a product id of 3. i.e. not a simple podule.

If your podule is a different variation of the ether1 that the ones we know
about then it needs to be added to the list of cards recognised.

If you can tell me exactly what the podulebus driver reports for the slot I can
add it to the list.

Just re-reading your message

>Not only this - but RiscBSD doesn't recognise I have a
>podule plugged in at all!

does this mean that you get

podulebus0 (root0): ...

and dont get a line for the ether1 card

podule? at podulebus0 : ...

If you don't even get this line then the test to see if the podule is present
(checking bit 1 of byte 0 of the podule space) is failing. This raises
questions of conformance to the podule bus expansion card specification....

Cheers,
				Mark

--
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk