Subject: Re: 1.2-release/inst-12.fs corrupt, unable to install base
To: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/29/1996 23:38:44
On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Mark Brinicombe wrote:

> >There has just been too many problems like this, so I think
> >we need to establish some better testing procedures before
> >releasing software. Too many man-hours are wasted trying to
>
> This raises various Q's about the release build procedure and testing
> procedure.
>
> Currently I rebuild every package for the release and then every package needs
> testing. If a new version of source is available then I pull that, have to
> spend time patching it etc. then testing it.
> For example for each release I need to test *every* binary that is in the
> release. How ?

  Well, I already regard myself as a beta tester.

  I don't expect RiscBSD to be bug free and a doddle to install, and I
hope that by finding bugs and reporting them I can help make it better.

  After all, we *have* found these bugs/omissions within a few days of
the release being made public.

  Maybe all that is required is a message on the FTP site for a
couple of weeks after the release is made, indicating that it's new and
still has a few bugs.

Ale.