Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New kernels + sets
To: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/29/1996 18:50:32
>What about the upgrade floppy?
>I pointed out two problems with it some days ago. If you don't have my
>message to the list, just tell me and I will mail it to you.

Just trying to remember your mail ;-) The upgr-12 image has been updated.
The egrep problem is fixed.
The tmp perms bug should be fixed .. The set has the correct permissions but
the floppy images did not and the contents of the floppy are tarred over during
installation.

Ok got your whole message here ...

>We didn't figure out why his Cumana SCSI II is not found though ("podule0: not
>configured", although the manufacturer string seemed OK). We upgraded to
>firmware v2.03 before.
Ok that means that no driver claims the podule .... hmmm.

>To say it short, the 1.2-R installation disk has more traps in it than any
>installation before. :-(((
This is odd as it is just the 1.2-beta recompiled.

>First, egrep's not there, second you need gunzip because the large /bin/cat
>binary copied over from the install disk won't unpack anything when called as
>gunzip for unknown reasons.
Hmm, I'll check gunzip.

The inst and upgr rootdiscs on line now are build from common source so for the
most part are identical. I have used the inst-12 image my self to install a new
system.

Ok uppercase set names may have a few hangups. I have not gone to town on
fixing these problems as I am planning a new installer in the near future.
If anyone wants to fix the problems feel free it is an sh script.
Currently all set names should really be lower case but I under stand that this
may not be the case if the the files have been copies to MSDOS floppies.

>There is no /dev/MAKEDEV (only MAKEDEV.local) in the etc set!!!
/dev/MAKEDEV is in the base set not the etc set. This is where it is for all
NetBSD installations. The base set should be the first set installed.

>You're lost at this point if you're installing for the first time and don't
>have a good portion of Unix experience. :-(((
You should not be lost. The install floppy should have installed the floppy
/dev which should be enough to boot and run inst. Then you can install the base
set.
which will run /dev/MAKEDEV all as part of the base installation.

>It's a rather minor snag by then that the permissions for Xarm-21 don't have
>the sticky bit set and that it belongs to bin:bin instead of root:wheel and
>that fvwm is looking for its stuff in /usr/lib/X11 instead of
/usr/X11/lib/X11.
>Fvwm crashed most of the time, especially when started by xinit, but I don't
>know why.
>Btw, the xinitrc hasn't been present in all versions of X, thanks for putting
>in it.

Ok the removal of the setuid bit is a security measure. You can either run xdm
as root and add the setuid bit. Rob can explain this better as this change was
his.
I'll take a look at fvwm.

>The user account creation in rcm doesn't copy the dotfiles from
/usr/share/skel
>to the user's home directory.
This is an ommision that I forgot about and nobody has pointed out before. I'll
fix it.

>These have to be fiddled with anyway, but I ask myself why they still set the
>path to /usr/new and /usr/old. I haven't seen these on any NetBSD system yet.
>/usr/local also doesn't make much sense in the path.
>This also seems to be a NetBSD problem.
This is MI, I have never really looked at the /usr/share/skel files.

>The last problem was that the user we created was not allowed to su to root
>although he is in wheel. I checked this with id.
What was the error it gave ?
were there spaces in the group file ?

CHeers,
			Mark