Subject: New kernels and loads of memory (48MB+)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/28/1996 22:18:11
Hi,
  Ok for those of you with 48MB+ in your machine you will be aware of the
problems experienced previously they lead to the special kernel for large
memory systems. Until I implement the real fix (Major reorg of the kernel
address space) there is a new bootloader option that provides a work around.

Add the extra option

nbuf=500

in the bootloader config window.

This will override the default number of buffers allocated.
The problem with large memory systems is that too many buffers are allocated
(the number is normally dynamically calculated from the amount of phys memory)
and the kernel VM data area runs out of space.

the nbuf= options allows a limit to be placed on the number of buffers.
Typically a 32MB machine will allocate 440 buffersand a 64MB machine 880 or
so.I have not worked out the exact cut off point but the actual number is not
critical.

Cheers,
				Mark

--