Subject: Re: State of Powertec support ?
To: Simon Proven <sproven@art.acorn.co.uk>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/28/1996 16:06:24
On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Simon Proven wrote:

> >  Why then are the SCSI drivers so slow?
>
> suffer because polling is fast under RISC OS, because you're always the
> foreground task when doing disc transfers.  Unix does it differently.

  I thought, as it's the kernel doing the polling that it would always
be the 'forground' task.

   I thought the kernel itself couldn't be preemptively multitasked in
UNIX (at least not in NetBSD), so that when something sticks in the
kerel, the whole machine hangs.

  Is this wrong?

Also the routines mentioned by Mark as possibly needing recoding to speed
things up must be called with interrupts disabled, so I don't see how
they could be interrupted.

  Confused yet again...
Ale.