Subject: Re: State of Powertec support ?
To: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/28/1996 13:25:41
> That's not the worst part!  As the driver polls, it soaks up all the CPU
>while it's doing this 110Kps (if it's the same as the Cumana that is!)

Ok just to clarify things ...

Adding interrupt support will not improve the transfer rates but will release
the CPU to get on with  other processes while waiting for I/O

Transfers rates increases will require DMA support.

However we need interrupt support before we can do DMA support.

The current problem with the powertec driver is that you can run with
interrupts but the driver hangs up after a few minutes. (Scott may be able to
clarify the problem better).

Note to powertec users:
All the driver source for the powertec card is in the source tree and the
source
should support enabling of interrupts so if someone wants to look into tracing
the problem feel free ;-)

Cheers,
				Mark

--