Subject: Re: State of Powertec support ?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/26/1996 14:11:19
> From: y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de (Thomas Boroske)
> Date: Sam, 26 Okt 1996 05:47:04 +0200
>
> I would like to enquire about the state of the support for the Powertec
> SCSI II Controller. I've checked the RiscBSD pages, it still says
> under development.

That is correct.

> - Is it possible to use just one partition, not only the whole harddisk ?

I am using a Power-tec SCSI-2 with the following layout under RISC OS
3 v. 3.5 on a 2 GB SCSI-2 disc:
- 400 MB RISC OS partition
- 100 MB root partition (/)
- 1.5 GB /usr partition.

This works fine.

> - What about speed / reliability ?

The speed is around 110 KB/s, and the driver seems to be totally
reliable. It has not given me any problems yet.

The problem with the driver is that it is polling and not interrupt
driven. This means that all disc activity will also eat CPU. That
is the reason for the slow speed.

Kjetil B.