Subject: Re: Look what I've done now...
To: RiscBSD <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/24/1996 17:16:14
On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Jasper Wallace wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, David Croft wrote:
>
> > Elated by my success at compiling Pine, I decided to try some printing
> > using lpr. Didn't work at first, but the /etc/printcap file mentioned
> > (IIRC) /dev/lp, so I changed this to /dev/lpt0.
>
> Did you add an entry in /etc/printcap for your printer? I've had printing
> working with a Canon BJ-10. cat'ing stuff direct to the device worked, but
> trying to use the print queue etc. didn't work - it core dumped. I assumed
> this was a 1.1 problem, I havn't tried since I got 1.2. ATM I don't run lpd.
>
> [snip]
> > Okay, I thought, no problem, I'll reboot in single-user mode and
> > remove the files from /var/spool/lpd. But no! In single-user mode,
> > the / partition is mounted read-only (and I cannot seem to unmount
> > it order to mount it read-write).
>
> Ok. boot to a ramdisc as per intstalling, answer 'n' at the prompt (you
> don't want to install it again) at the prompt mount you disc on, say, /mnt
> and delete/edit away ;-)

Or alternatively boot single user and use 'mount -u /' to unmount
the root partition and remount it read/write.

It is possible to get printing using lpr to work. My /etc/printcap contains
the following entry:

lp|local line printer:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw=80:sh:

This works fine with both the parallel printers on my machine.
This is all with 1.1-beta release kernels and binaries.

Mike