Subject: Re: Look what I've done now...
To: David Croft <david@infotrek.demon.co.uk>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/24/1996 11:24:22
On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, David Croft wrote:

> Elated by my success at compiling Pine, I decided to try some printing
> using lpr. Didn't work at first, but the /etc/printcap file mentioned
> (IIRC) /dev/lp, so I changed this to /dev/lpt0.

Did you add an entry in /etc/printcap for your printer? I've had printing
working with a Canon BJ-10. cat'ing stuff direct to the device worked, but
trying to use the print queue etc. didn't work - it core dumped. I assumed
this was a 1.1 problem, I havn't tried since I got 1.2. ATM I don't run lpd.

[snip]
> Okay, I thought, no problem, I'll reboot in single-user mode and
> remove the files from /var/spool/lpd. But no! In single-user mode,
> the / partition is mounted read-only (and I cannot seem to unmount
> it order to mount it read-write).

Ok. boot to a ramdisc as per intstalling, answer 'n' at the prompt (you
don't want to install it again) at the prompt mount you disc on, say, /mnt
and delete/edit away ;-)

[snip]

> Oh, and one further question: Is it possible to change the
> `NetBSD/arm32 (hawk.infotrek.co.uk) (ttyv0)' message? I'd just like
> to put in a short `If you're looking for Xxx, use port 5555'.

edit /etc/motd - it is partly created at boot time, so you may want to brush
up on your shell programming skills.

--
Jasper Wallace-Internet Vision | Caving-Acorn-RiscBSD-Chocolate-Banks-Fish
My opinions != IVisions's      | PovRay-FVWM-Perl-C-Mono-Food-Wired-?