Subject: Look what I've done now...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Croft <david@infotrek.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/24/1996 00:15:40
Elated by my success at compiling Pine, I decided to try some printing
using lpr. Didn't work at first, but the /etc/printcap file mentioned
(IIRC) /dev/lp, so I changed this to /dev/lpt0.

I then killed and restarted the lpd daemon. No success; I think it was
giving `printer offline'. Removed Artworks & Publisher dongles and
this message vanished too.

Then, I assume, the lpd daemon tried to start printing. Lights flashed
on the printer (HP DeskJet 850C connected to parallel port - I was just
sending a text file). But the machine froze. No panic, no nothing; even
the flashing cursor had vanished.

Rebooted the machine, then got this message:

NetBSD/arm32 (hawk.infotrek.co.uk) (ttyv0)

login: f00fa7c4 : D@-e : e52d0004 :    STR     r0, [r13, -#0x0004]!
panic: Abort handler cannot fix this :-(

Stopped at     0xf0113d30:    ldmdb   r11, {r11, r13, r15}
db>

Erk! I assume this happened because the lpd daemon tried to restart
printing the spooled files.

Okay, I thought, no problem, I'll reboot in single-user mode and
remove the files from /var/spool/lpd. But no! In single-user mode,
the / partition is mounted read-only (and I cannot seem to unmount
it order to mount it read-write).

Leaving single-user mode to execute the rc file, I got all
sorts of strange messages, but the strangest of all was when
my login message was simply:

NetBSD/arm32 (Amnesiac)

login:

Any ideas? The two things I can think of would be to either
remove the /var/spool/lpd/ files, or to stop rc from loading lpd.
Unfortunately I cannot do either due to the partition being initially
read-only.

Unixfs is not an option since the entire partition lies outside of the
2Gig boundary. (will this be fixed?)

Help! Any ideas please? I'm not fast enough to login and delete the
files before the lpd daemon kicks in...

Oh, and one further question: Is it possible to change the
`NetBSD/arm32 (hawk.infotrek.co.uk) (ttyv0)' message? I'd just like
to put in a short `If you're looking for Xxx, use port 5555'.

--
David Croft          Sleepless in Reigate