Subject: Re: Simple installation query
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/22/1996 00:19:41
>> From: robleady@argonet.co.uk (Rob Leadbeater)
>> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 96 22:09:40
>>
>> I finally got another disc to stick RiscBSD on, and everything seemed to be
>> going fine in the installation until I try running /usr/local/sbin/inst.
>> This appears to fail due to the lack of the whoami command, complaining that
>> I must be root. Am I missing something ?
>
>No, you are not.
>
>This is a known problem with the installation script.
>
>You can do one of two things here:
>1) Edit the installation script to remove the need for whoami
>2) Create a script called whoami like this:
>cat >/bin/whoami
>echo "root"
><CTRL-D>
>chmod a+x /bin/whoami
>
><CTRL-D> means press CTRL-D. This is the UNIX EOF marker.
>
>Kjetil B.

This bug affects rootdiscs 1.2-beta and earlier. The problem is the whoami
command is not on the root floppy but the floppy uses the same version of inst
as in the config set. (whoami is part of the base set)
The 1.2-release root floppy has a fix for this.
The problem also effects installations in single user mode is /usr is not
mounted (the default) as whoami is in /usr/bin/whoami.

The fix suggested by Kjetil works fine.

Cheers,
				Mark

--