Subject: Re: Removable drives (was Re: Before Acorn World)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Smith <mark@findon.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/17/1996 22:36:15
In message <Pine.HPP.3.91-941213.961017151124.9331B-100000@burn4.ncl.ac.uk>
          Hendrik <J.C.Harrison@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

> Also, a daft question. If RiscBSD is running from a removable disk and the
> disk is accidentally ejected, is there any chance that the system would
> not die horribly?
>
> What does BSD do when a mounted device ceases to exist?  Will it wait for
> the device to return or simply shut itself down as best it can?

I would imagine that the answer depends on what it's trying to access. If
it's trying to swap to a drive that's no longer available then it almost
certainly would die horribly. Otherwise, it ought to do something sensible
aka NFS when mounts are temporarily unavailable (e.g. because some pulled
the network cable out the back of the machine :-)

Ideally you would want to lock the drive whilst partition(s) on it are
mounted. This is obviously something which doesn't apply to a fixed drive.

--
Mark Smith - Surrey, UK         ...http://www.findon.demon.co.uk/...