Subject: Re: Removable drives (was Re: Before Acorn World)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/17/1996 22:37:09
>Is there any reason why RiscBSD might not work with any of these sort of
>drives? I presume that, being SCSI, RiscBSD could not care less what type
>of drive it is, but...

No problems that I know of. I have used a syquest drive on my machine in the
past and regularly use a PD drive.

>Also, a daft question. If RiscBSD is running from a removable disk and the
>disk is accidentally ejected, is there any chance that the system would
>not die horribly?

Ok when RiscBSD mounts a disc it will send the drive a command to lock
the drive so the media cannot be ejected. The drive is unlocked when the
disc is unmounted. This should mean that accident ejections will not occur
For example with a CD or PD disc you need a bit of wire to poke in the little
hole to hand operate the eject mechanism.

>What does BSD do when a mounted device ceases to exist?  Will it wait for
>the device to return or simply shut itself down as best it can?

Gets upset ? ;-)
If the hardware disappears e.g. a drive is turned off then it is
down to the driver behaviour. Typically the driver will timeout on an access
and may loop repeatedly or may panic etc.

I would say that never having done things like this I don't know how the system
would respond. The safest thing would be to panic in all cases like this as
that would result in the least damage to filesystems.

Cheers,
				Mark

--
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk