Subject: Re: Status of Cumana SCSI drivers?
To: Jon Coppeard <jc217@thor.cam.ac.uk>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/17/1996 13:10:07
> Hello

> I have recently started using RiscBSD from a SCSI drive, using my Cumana
> SCSI 2 card, and have found disk access to be very slow (approx half the
> speed of the IDE drive I was using before). I was wondering if this is my

  In that case you must have a very slow IDE drive. My scsi disk is about
10 times slower than my IDE, and makes the computer crawl while it's
being used.  We'll just have to wait on this one I think.

> Also, running X is very unstable - it often crashes if I have more than
> one xterm open, or just play around.  I'm using the 1.1-beta release from
> the ftp site, without the upgrades I have seen on there.  I shall try this
> next.

  Upgrade to 1.2-beta and Xarm-24. I haven't had a single crash using
Xarm24 and 1.2 is far superior to 1.1.

> The 'eh' driver also keeps giving me errors, like 'packed recived intact
> (this should happed)', which is getting a bit annoying.

  Yep. Apparently the eh driver is broken.

    We should be getting a new one soon, but haven't heard anything about
it for the last month.
  Anyone got any new news on this front?

Ale.