Subject: Re: SCSI spindown problem
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/17/1996 11:00:56
> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 96 10:11:20 +0200
> From: marx@POOL.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE (Thomas Marx)
>
> I run my BSD with a PTec SCSI-controller. When I start BSD the drive
> with the RBSD partition spins down (who know why?) but gets the command to
> spin up for booting. Unfortunately the drive needs about 15 secs to spin up.
> Within this time BSD sais that the drive is not availible. THis time I press
> the middle mouse button when the message appears that the controller is there
> (plugging my ear to my RiscPC) and wait until the drive runs. Not that elegant.
> Could be something made against this, not meaning to write a PTec driver :-)=)

The Power-tec drive is setup up to spin down on shutdown, and this is
what happens when you boot RiscBSD.

I have disabled spindown on my Power-tec SCSI-2 card, and I do not have
this problem.

Perhaps you should try that.

I have disabled spindown/eject on the SCSI Configuration screen
(configure computer from main screen).

Kjetil B.