Subject: Re: Swapping to file and printers too...
To: pwain@nc.com <PWAIN@nc.com>
From: Simon Ogilvie <etlsnoe@deep-thought.ericsson.se>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/17/1996 08:58:14
> 1) I need to do a link which needs around 100Mb+ of memory to even think about
> starting
> from what I can tell. The question therefore arrises of how to swap to a file.
> I guessed
> swapon(8) (well not so much a guess but...) but this doesnt work:
>
> 	# swapon /disk1/swapfile
> 	swapon: /disk1/swapfile: Block device required
>
> (I did play around with mknod too, but all the variants I tried came back with
>  device not configured). Any ideas?

How have you created the swapfile?  If you did a mkfile <size> /disk1/swapfile
then this ought to work, but you'd be better off putting the reference to it
in the /etc/fstab file so it gets picked up on reboot.  The line you need in
fstab is something like:

/disk1/swapfile swap swap rw 0 0

and you then just need to do a swapon -a for this to be actioned.

Sorry, can't help you with the printer :-)

Simon.
| Simon Ogilvie   -  Systems Support 			|
|                    Ericsson Data Ltd., Guildford, UK  |
| Simon.Ogilvie@Guildford.Ericsson.se                   |