Subject: Re: SA & Morley compatibility (was Re: StrongARM comptibility)
To: Mark Smith <mark@findon.demon.co.uk>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/15/1996 11:25:11
Mark Smith writes:

 > The Morley card is probably one of the most widespread, although obviously
 > doesn't mean any of the Kernel team own one. I thought support was planned,
 > though.

I may be able to (briefly) get my hands on one, and if it uses an
fas216 I would imagine I could get the same functionality as the
cumana/powertec/connect32 as they all use the same chip.

 > > You would have to do it yourself. As long as there is a general driver for the
 > > SCSI chip used, it should not be too hard. You would need information from the
 > > manufacturer though, eg. about the addresses the card is using.
 >
 > Morley cards use one of the following controllers:
 >
 > NCR 53C94, Emulux ESP216 or Emulux FAS216 - I assume these are all compatible
 > with each-other.

Yup, but the information I have seems to be missing some
info... shouldn't be hard to get though.

 > I wonder what controller(s) the Acorn and other cards for which drivers have
 > been produced use. Is it worth putting together a list so that we can work out
 > which cards drivers could easily be produced for by modifying existing drivers
 > for similar cards?

Well the easiest way (used by most ports), is to have a chip specific
section of code and a card specific section that accesses this.
See: ptsc.c sfas.c and csc.c

Cheers Scott