Subject: Re: SA & Morley compatibility (was Re: StrongARM comptibility)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Smith <mark@findon.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/15/1996 20:31:54
In message <18238.199610151025@mortimer.cc.ic.ac.uk>
          Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> I may be able to (briefly) get my hands on one, and if it uses an
> fas216 I would imagine I could get the same functionality as the
> cumana/powertec/connect32 as they all use the same chip.

My assumption, which has yet to be confirmed, is that it is probably closest
to the Acorn card, both being old style 16 bit podules. It would be very
useful if that's true since the Acorn driver seems to be the most advanced.
I don't know what controller(s) the Acorn cards use, though.

>  > Morley cards use one of the following controllers:
>  >
>  > NCR 53C94, Emulux ESP216 or Emulux FAS216 - I assume these are all compatible
>  > with each-other.
>
> Well the easiest way (used by most ports), is to have a chip specific
> section of code and a card specific section that accesses this.
> See: ptsc.c sfas.c and csc.c

So presumably there is a standard interface between them and it's a matter
of choosing the most appropriate card and chip drivers and making
ammendments as necessary. No, that sounds too good to be true :-). I don't
have anything to look at yet to check whether it's true or not.

--
Mark Smith - Surrey, UK         ...http://www.findon.demon.co.uk/...