Subject: Re: SA & Morley compatibility (was Re: StrongARM comptibility)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Smith <mark@findon.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/14/1996 21:18:56
In message <6286b01c47@emw4maba.slip.gp.fht-esslingen.de>
          Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de> wrote:

> > On a similar note, is there any support for Morley SCSI cards yet?
>
> AFAIR, no support for further cards except the Connect32 is planned or under
> work. This is due to the fact that all the other cards are not widespread and
> nobody from the kernel team has one, so how should they write a driver for it?

The Morley card is probably one of the most widespread, although obviously
doesn't mean any of the Kernel team own one. I thought support was planned,
though.

> You would have to do it yourself. As long as there is a general driver for the
> SCSI chip used, it should not be too hard. You would need information from the
> manufacturer though, eg. about the addresses the card is using.

Morley cards use one of the following controllers:

NCR 53C94, Emulux ESP216 or Emulux FAS216 - I assume these are all compatible
with each-other.

I wonder what controller(s) the Acorn and other cards for which drivers have
been produced use. Is it worth putting together a list so that we can work out
which cards drivers could easily be produced for by modifying existing drivers
for similar cards?

--
Mark Smith - Surrey, UK         ...http://www.findon.demon.co.uk/...