Subject: Re: Before Acorn Worldm what?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Smith <mark@findon.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/14/1996 21:31:06
In message <ba526e1c47@spuddy.mew.co.uk>
          Chris Manning <chrism@spuddy.mew.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm strongly tempted to go for a Jaz (I don't like the idea of tapes), but
> if I'm going to do that could I simply run RiscBSD from a removable disc?
> How reliable are they if used continuously, rather than simply for taking
> backups?

The removable disc hard drives are generally intended for primary storage
use, not just for backups so you shouldn't have any problems. The new
Syquest 1.3GB SyJet drives are also worth a look. As long as you have a
suitable SCSI card driver, you shouldn't have any problems with removable
drives.

Changing discs whilst running RiscBSD may be more of a problem. If you wish
to do that, you'll probably need a partition mounted on a fixed drive for
the kernel, swap space and so on with other partition(s) on removable disc(s)
with you can mount and unmount as required when changing discs.

> All advice on choosing a SCSI card and hard disc(s) will be gratefully
> received.

For immediate use an Acorn card would be best if you can get hold of one
since it's the only one with a driver that supports interrupt triggered
transfers. Longer term, drivers will probably appear for most cards.

--
Mark Smith - Surrey, UK         ...http://www.findon.demon.co.uk/...