Subject: Installation, GAG-CD
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/13/1996 23:23:38
Hi Thomas!

In message <9610110900.AA01846@hathi>
          marx@POOL.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE (Thomas Marx) wrote:

> 1. I installed every package which I got on my distribution CD but after
> that the command 'Configure' was not availible. Where is it?

It is a function inside one of the shell scripts in the root directory.
There has been some confusion about this. Can't you just simply run
"Configure"?

> 2. Is there anyone to give me a short intro to set up a dip-session?

I want to write something about this. Can you wait a few days?

> 3. I got a CD (from GAG, German Archimedes group) and they got a reall
> stange structure on. Is someone willing to extend the inst-script to
> make an automatic extracting from the CD? I needed lots of hour to get
> everything working.

I don't think it's worth it, because this is still version 1.1, but NetBSD 1.2
has been released on October 4th, so it's out of date now. :-(
I don't know why they made this strange structure. They told me that they
wanted to use tar files to preserve the long filenames, but in the end, they
were mangled anyway. It would probably have been easier to rename the files
anyway which is no problem in most cases.
I also don't understand why they didn't merge the updates into the first tar
archive.
The biggest sin is undoubtedly that they replaced all points by underscores
instead of slashes. Can't this be left like it is (so handling under RiscBSD is
much easier) and gets mangled under RiscOS automatically?

> 3. When is a PowerTec driver (a fast one) availible?

Oh no, Scott is going to hate this question. ;-) Anyway, I would like to know
the same, but for the Cumana card. The last thing I heard was that he was stuck
because he couldn't find the bug in the interrupt and DMA code.

Markus