Subject: Re: Using DOS media under RiscBSD
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/12/1996 02:25:47
In message <21180.199610101007@mortimer.cc.ic.ac.uk>
          Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> No /dev/sd1c is the one required. Mount requires a block device. Fsck
> and newfs use the character device.

It doesn't work anyway. :-(
I repartitioned the PD to 512 MB (cylinders 0-511) on an Adaptec 1740.
Then I mounted it on a strange HP-XU Pentium with an AMD controller under Linux
(which kept crashing due to problems with the SCSI driver all the time ("Kernel
panic: scsi_free tried to free unused memory. Not syncing")) with
  mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt
and wrote quite a lot of data to it.
I can't read it with the RiscPC at all. Neither with !PCdisk nor as a direct
SCSI drive under the 486card...

RiscBSD in particular (which should not have any problem with a boundary such
as 512 MB) reacts like this:
# mount -t msdos /dev/sd1c /mnt
sd1: no disklabel
msdos: mount: Invalid argument

Btw, my harddisk is working again. I really don't know what it was, the problem
was there (I switched the machine on and off which also didn't help) but it was
gone on Thursday. It was probably a hardware problem, maybe a bad connection. I
really hope it's not the harddisk itself...

Markus