Subject: Re: Ether3 Network cards
From: Dan Ellis <dellis@apltd.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/11/1996 11:01:31
On Thu 10 Oct, Mark Brinicombe wrote:
> Hi,
>   The ether3/5 and etherB network cards have problems with the
> StrongARM under RiscOS. The solution is a ROM/EEPROM upgrade.
> However when I spoke to ANT about this the other day they said
> the code was still be tested by Acorn and could not tell me
> when it would be available.
> This is a pain as I have both an etherB and ether3/5 in my machine
> and thus with the SA-110 I can only do networking under RiscBSD
> and not RiscOS yet.

I heard about this as well, so was rather wondering what would happen
when I upgraded.  However, I found soft-loading the EtherB module from
the ANT internet suite release 2 seemed to work pretty well, although
it takes a couple of goes before it loads without error! (i.e. it
sometimes comes up with a 'eb8: no controller detected' error when
you try to load the module by e.g. by double clicking on it, but if
you keep trying, it'll eventually not report an error, indicating that
it's loaded properly!)

I don't know if this driver is different from the one on the NIC, I
only upgraded yesterday and so haven't had much chance to play around
yet!

Apart from that, once it's loaded everything seems to work fine.  I do
get disturbed by this 'keep trying till it works' feeling I keep
getting from the StrongARM though ;)

cheers,

--
Dan Ellis,                              http://www.apltd.co.uk/