Subject: Ether3 Network cards...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Brown <crp02@holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/10/1996 18:11:05
I've been having a few niggling problems with the above, and was wondering
if it was just me, or whether the problem was well known to the world.

I'm running a 50Mb 610, with RiscBSD taking up the >512Mb bit of a Seagate
IDE drive, using kernel 4554, with an Atomwide Ether3 podule hanging out
the back.

99% of the time, everything works beautifully. Every so often, however,
the card just loses it, and decides to hide for a bit. Pinging the local
gateway produces,

PING gw-Chemistry (129.215.220.254): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Host is down
ping: wrote gw-Chemistry 64 chars, ret=-1

ifconfig'ing the card to down, then up again restores it to working order,
but it's something that requires root access, and therefore isn't the
best. (And if you're telnetting in from home, you're scuppered!)

I've also noticed (usually towards the end of big ftp session) an rx
packet error (I forget which one :-() causes the card to die completely
(though resuscitation via ifconfig works also).

Is this a quirk of my setup, or a bug already fixed in newer kernels? A
solution (and especially an automated one) would be lovely - working from
home would be a great thing at the moment.

Thanks,

Dan.

P.S. - I remember a rumour that the ether3 driver had problems with
StrongARMs? Please don't let this be true :-)