Subject: Re: Using DOS media under RiscBSD
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/09/1996 11:36:55
On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Jasper Wallace wrote:

> mount -t msdos /dev/sd[n]c /mnt

Oh no, silly me. I tried mount -t msdos /dev/sd1a /mnt :-(((

> that, you need to tell it. By default it trys to mount discs as ffs discs
> (Fast Filing System ?), if it can't it assumes that that disc is not
> disklabeled/formated, and says so. Now that it's disklabeled you could newfs
> it and to format it to ffs, but thats up to you.

As you see above I told BSD that it's an msdos disc, but as I gave the first
partition it most probably tried to look in the disklabel to find the
details of this partition.

> 	Something like Norton Disc Doctor mike fix it, but it may be pretty
> spannered, hope there wasn't anything important on it.

It was more of a try anyway, everything can be copied on it again very
easily, no problem.

For now I got bigger problems with my harddisk. May have been my fault
(switched on the PD drive after bootup and tried to access it, which made
either FileCore or SCSIFS bomb out with an address exception), anyway, I
get "Disc not understood - has it been formatted?" now.
Sergio Monesi's hardfix says it can't read the map because of a "Target
error - Medium error" (hope this doesn't mean my HD is physically
damaged), I emailed him on behalf of it.
At least I have a backup of most of its contents - but I forgot my news
and especially mail archive and left out the DOS stuff, so reformatting
and restoring it would still be a lot of work. :-(((

So long, Markus