Subject: Re: Using DOS media under RiscBSD
To: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/08/1996 11:52:55
On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Markus Baeurle wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is it possible to use DOS-formatted media (phase change in my case) under
> RiscBSD, and is so, how?

mount -t msdos /dev/sd[n]c /mnt

or
mount_msdos /dev/sd[n]c /mnt

> If I try to mount it under RiscBSD, I get: sd1: no disklabel.
> So I just ran "disklabel sd1", with the result that I can't read the disk
> under RiscOS any more.
> Sorry, but I don't know which error I get if I try to mount after
> running disklabel. I'm not at my home machine atm.

OH-Oh... a disklabel is the NetBSD equilevent of a bootblock, scratch one
MS-DOS disc :-(

	RiscBSD dosn't detect the disc format automaticaly and mount it as
that, you need to tell it. By default it trys to mount discs as ffs discs
(Fast Filing System ?), if it can't it assumes that that disc is not
disklabeled/formated, and says so. Now that it's disklabeled you could newfs
it and to format it to ffs, but thats up to you.

	Something like Norton Disc Doctor mike fix it, but it may be pretty
spannered, hope there wasn't anything important on it.

--
Jasper Wallace-Internet Vision | Caving-Acorn-RiscBSD-Chocolate-Banks-Fish
She's a witch!, Burn Her!      | PovRay-FVWM-Perl-C-Mono-Food-Wired-?