Subject: Re: Cumana SCSI II Card
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1996 17:49:04
Hello Forbes!

In message <29525.199610012210@mailhub.ggr.co.uk>
          Mr F H Baylis <fhb22266@ggr.co.uk> wrote:

>   I upgraded my card using the Flash update with no problems, but you probably
>   didn't want to hear that! The new software is a vast improvement, with up

OK Mark Gillman assured me that you cannot damage the card by flashing a new
version. However there's the rare chance that the card won't operate any more.
This can be cured by fiddling around with the some jumpers while the machine is
running. He will explain to anybody who needs to know or will do it for you
free of charge.
Some people flash the card twice for safety, I don't know if this helps.
Mark said it is a good idea to configure all drives on the SCSI bus to off
(i.e. *Co. SCSIFSdiscs 0 and *Co. CDFSdrives 0) before flashing the card.

> badged version. 'I wonder why' me thinks... I'd be interested to know if your
> Matsushita PD drive works okay (when your other little problem is fixed).

A chap named Dieter Roever wrote something about connecting a PD drive in the
German magazine GAG. He is using (under RiscOS only) the Plasmon PS2000i and it
works fine (although very slowly when reading CDs).

>   The original reason I wanted to contact Cumana for was to find out if there
>   was any support for SCSI II Exabyte or DAT drives. Do you know if anyone has
>   written the driver/applications for these type of drives on any RiscPC SCSI

I don't know, sorry. Tapes are not an option for me because I find them too
unflexible. I want to be able to read the data randomly off my "backup" medium,
e.g. to reinstall a single program from its ZIP file.

Markus