Subject: Re: Cumana SCSI II Card
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mr F H Baylis <fhb22266@ggr.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1996 11:31:00
  To: Aidan Corey and RiscBSD Development Team

  Thanks for that info Aidan. I'm going to get hold of a drive soon because I
  haven't backed up my RiscPC at all since I bought it! Over a year ago!?? So
  I better get a backup done shortly. I had a feeling that RiscBSD should
  work with a SCSI tape device, but it was RiscOS I had the problem with.

  I had an answer from Mark Gillman or Cumana yesterday who said that they
  are about to anounce the release of a new backup application that will work
  with Exabyte and DAT under RiscOS :-) He didn't give me an indication of
  the cost though.

  When I asked about the tape drive software I also asked about the current
  status with technical help to the RiscBSD core team for writing drivers
  for the Cumana card, this was his reply:

I asked:

> >  Can you tell me whether the relevant information will be made
> >  available to the RiscBSD development team.

Mark Gillman replied:

> The relevant documention has, I understand, already been made available to the
> core RiscBSD team. It was however supplied under a strict NDA so if any of the
> original team who signed the agreement are not available then progress will
> be very slow.
>
> Unfortunately I am not currently in a position to make the documentation
> freely available. I do understand the problems (I think!) but we have so
> much on our plate at the moment that adding our support to this project
> is a little impractical. My apologies for any inconvenience this causes.

  Is anyone aware whether the original members of the Cumana driver
  development who signed the Non Disclosure Agreement are still working on
  the project? If not is it not a simple task to get the current developer(s)
  to sign another agreement with Cumana. I understand that NDA's are a pain,
  but I work with major computer harware/software suppliers who are much less
  willing to divulge information. I can understand Cumana's situation, they
  aren't saying they can't help, but will under their terms; it's not
  intended to make life difficult for developers of new OS's, but to keep the
  competition from stealing their ideas/code.

  Anyone like to comment?

  Rgds,

  Forbes.