Subject: Re: xqueries and other (bugs?) (Was: Re: Re:[2]:availability)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1996 10:46:54
On Oct 3,  6:31pm, Jasper Wallace wrote:
> Subject: xqueries and other (bugs?) (Was: Re: Re:[2]:availability)
> Just installed 1.2 propperly this morning, I carefully left it installing
> its self last night, but this morning I discovered that I was trying to
install to the
> ramdisk ;-(
>
> the xpm sets install to /usr/X11R6 when the rest of the X stuff is in
> /usr/X11R6.1 . I copyed all the stuff into /usr/X11R6.1 .

Thats one for Mark... sounds like xpm hasn't been recompiled...

> startx produces:
>
> jasper@quatermass> startx
>

> Fatal server error:
> Failed to establish all listerning sockets
> [waits for a bit]
> giving up.
> xinit: Interrupted system call (errno 4): unable to connect to X server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
> jasper@quatermass>

chmod u+s /usr/X11R6.1/bin/Xarm*

> trying to use imake causes problems too
>
> jasper@quatermass> imake
> Imakefile.c:3: Imake.tmpl: No such file or directory
> imake: Exit code 33. Stop
> jasper@quatermass>
>
> trying it with -I helps :
>
> jasper@quatermass> imake -I/usr/X11/lib/X11/config
> In file included from /usr/X11/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl:33,
> 		 from Imakefile.c:3:
> /usr/X11/lib/X11/config/site.def:35: host.def: No such file or directory
> imake: Exit sode 33. Stop.
> jasper@quatermass>
>
> a find in X11 fails to locate it, and yes I have got the x11dev set
> installed (in 1.1 I seem to remember a RiscPC.def file or a RiscBSD.def,
> have we got the standerd includes but none of the RiscBSD specific ones?)

host.def appears to be where you put local definitions. It appears to get
ignored if you invoke imake via xmkmf. A couple of things. Firstly make sure
that the path to imake is /usr/X11R6.1/bin/imake and secondly touch
/usr/X11R6.1/lib/X11/config/host.def - let me know how you get on.

> /tmp needed to have permissions changed.
>
> 	Apart from that It all works wonderfully, thanks loads everyone.
>
> P.S.
>
> The following sets may appear for 1.2 in the next 2/3 days:
> apache, (exim), less, lynx, (mtools) unzip, color-ls, color-xterm, zsh and
> anything else I find ;-) (Things in brackets are maybe)

I did nearly produce an exim set for RiscBSD but (a) it compiles pretty much
out of the box and (b) it has compile-time configuration options (which should
not usually be left as their default values) (c) Philip Hazel (the author)
would probably point out that it is still an early beta version and you
shouldn't be using it unless you are prepared to recompile it every month or
two (new release versions appear roughly monthly). I decided to let people
roll-their-own.

Cheers

Rob