Subject: Re: DIP sticks.
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1996 09:20:36
> Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 01:56:30 GMT
> From: david@infotrek.demon.co.uk (David Croft)
>
> I now have RiscBSD and X running happily; thank you everybody.
>
> I installed the DIP package and, after four hours playing with the script,
> managed to get it to connect to Demon (I can post the script here if anybody
> thinks it would be useful).
>
> Two problems remain. Firstly, it's printing lots of messages of the following
> form:
>
> Oct 4 00:58:10 hawk /netbsd: com0: 1 silo overflow, 818 ibuf overflows.
>
> At a guess, I need to increase my serial buffers. How do I do this? (This
> may be the reason why my ftp is going so slowly).

After what I have read on this mailing list this is a common problem,
and requires changes to the kernel. I may be wrong here.

> The other problem is the pmap_enter messages. I get so many of them now
> it is hard to see what's what. Is there any way I can turn these off, or
> do I have to wait for a new kernel? (I am not yet compentent enough to
> compile my own kernel).

The messages are harmless, and is debugging info left in the kernel.

Mark (Brinicombe) said he would remove them in newer kernels.

> Finally, are there are decent text editors for the 1.2 beta. Please don't
> start a holy editor war - I'll try anything. I was wondering whether
> the 1.1 version of emacs would work? Something that runs under X would be
> nice too. (Really, I just want a replacement for Zap!).

People say that Joe is very good. I haven't tried it myself since I
enjoy using vi (yes I do).

It is available as a 1.2-beta set on the ftp server.

> Hope you can help. My thanks to all who have made RiscBSD possible.
> (although people are still shouting "Get Linux, you idiot" at me!).

Well, I know people who are very knowledgeable on UNIX, and they all
go for NetBSD instead of Linux. They claim that NetBSD is better.

Two of these people are known for fixing kernel problems by patching
the running kernel with a debugger. They know what they are doing
and prefer to do it that way.

Kjetil B.