Subject: DIP sticks.
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Croft <david@infotrek.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1996 01:56:30
I now have RiscBSD and X running happily; thank you everybody.

I installed the DIP package and, after four hours playing with the script,
managed to get it to connect to Demon (I can post the script here if anybody
thinks it would be useful).

Two problems remain. Firstly, it's printing lots of messages of the following
form:

Oct 4 00:58:10 hawk /netbsd: com0: 1 silo overflow, 818 ibuf overflows.

At a guess, I need to increase my serial buffers. How do I do this? (This
may be the reason why my ftp is going so slowly).

The other problem is the pmap_enter messages. I get so many of them now
it is hard to see what's what. Is there any way I can turn these off, or
do I have to wait for a new kernel? (I am not yet compentent enough to
compile my own kernel).

Finally, are there are decent text editors for the 1.2 beta. Please don't
start a holy editor war - I'll try anything. I was wondering whether
the 1.1 version of emacs would work? Something that runs under X would be
nice too. (Really, I just want a replacement for Zap!).

Hope you can help. My thanks to all who have made RiscBSD possible.
(although people are still shouting "Get Linux, you idiot" at me!).

Bye for now,

David.