Subject: Re: PD drive under RiscBSD
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/03/1996 17:01:12
Hi,
>I'll get a phase-change dual drive in the next days. It's the Panasonic
>LF1004AB / Plasmon PD2000i / NEC PD ODX1 (they're all the same, manufactured
>by Matsushita in Japan).
>
>I remember somebody mentioned problems with this drive under RiscBSD.
>Do these problems persist? What exactly are the problems?

Ok I use a PD driver regularly under RiscBSD.
The multiple Luns are not a problem.

One of the problems is minor
optical devs do not provide a mode sense page for geometry (page 3 ?)
as defined in the SCSI 2 spec.
The sd driver always tries to read this so you will get odd
illeal requests log messages when you mount and during attach,emnt
They can be ignored as the sd driver will create a fake geom
for it.

The other problems was I sometimes had difficulties when swapping PD discs.
The problem is that havings swapped mdeia the driver does not always generate
a unit attentions and thus it was possible for the sd driver to fail to
reread the disklabel
(The patch I use is to always reread the lable on an open)

Patches for these are included in RiscBSD kernels.

|Cheers
				Mark
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk
Research Associate			http://www.ph.kcl.ac.uk/~amb/
Department of Physics			tel: 0171 873 2894
King's College London			fax: 0171 873 2716