Subject: Re: Cumana SCSI II Card
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mr F H Baylis <fhb22266@ggr.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/01/1996 23:14:00
  On 1st October 1996 Marcus wrote...

  > Now I'm completely disassured what to do. I want the new version because
  > of the improved performance and the better support for changeable media
  > (I expect to get my Phase-Change Dual drive delivered today or tomorrow,
  > it's the same as the Cumana ProTeus AFAIK but comes directly from
  > Matsushita.), but I don't want to join the queue of people with
  > non-working cards who are left alone with their problem by Cumana.

  I upgraded my card using the Flash update with no problems, but you probably
  didn't want to hear that! The new software is a vast improvement, with up to 8
  devices now supported, apparently up to 64 partitions (any size), SCSIMapping
  and Access (read-only/hide icon) settings from the drive icon menus.

  I too was going to buy a Proteus until I saw that Cumana was charging 100's of
  pounds more than was being asked by other suppliers of the Panasonically
  badged version. 'I wonder why' me thinks... I'd be interested to know if your
  Matsushita PD drive works okay (when your other little problem is fixed).

  The original reason I wanted to contact Cumana for was to find out if there
  was any support for SCSI II Exabyte or DAT drives. Do you know if anyone has
  written the driver/applications for these type of drives on any RiscPC SCSI
  interface? I can't believe that no one has addressed this for us dedicated
  RiscPC users. I know Powertec has support for a ZIP? tape drive, but it
  doesn't really compare with the density of Exabyte/DAT and these types of
  drives are now becoming more affordable to your average punter like myself.

  Rgds,

  Forbes.