Subject: Re: pmap_enter, and Message Catalog Systems...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/01/1996 18:30:12
>However (!), there are a few little things that keep cropping up that do
>cause a little concern.
>
>1. pmap_enter: V0004f000 P14f41000 in pmap Vf15ca184 prot=00000005, wired
>= 0
>
>What does this mean? At a guess, (and because it occurs usually during
>disk activity), it's to do with mapping virtual to physical memory, but
>(and here's the crucial bit) should I be worrying about it? And can I get
>it to go away somehow...?

Oh just got to check on why this message is generated. It looks like a info
message to me ...  i.e. mapping phys page at 0x14f41000 to virtual address
0x0004f000. There are a number of messages like this that normally only get
printed when I turn the pmap debugging on ...

Ah found the cause ...

You can safely ignore this message.

The offending line of code is a debug message left over from when I was tracing
a specific problem

if (pmap_page_index(pa) == 0x1f41)
	printf("pmap_enter: V%08x P%08x in pmap V%08x prot=%08x, wired = %d\n",
	    (int) va, (int) pa, (int) pmap, prot, wired);

i.e. if pmap_enter() is ever called to map physical page 0x1f41 (0x14f41000)
it will tell you.

So ignore this for the moment and I will remove this line (the problem I was
tracing has been fixed) from the next kernels I put on line.

>2. Message Catalog System: corrupt file
>
>...which seems to occur under bash when one job's stopped, and when trying
>to locate a non-existent file on disk. I can't locate anything in the man
>pages with reference to the error message, though I guess the catalog
>system's some lookup table-type thing, which is misbehaving slightly.
>There seems to be little effect other than the error message.

Ah ha .. this is normally a symptom of a partial upgrade to 1.2
The format of message catalogues changed with 1.2. This means that all programs
using the message catalogue routines in libc need to be recompiled for 1.2
>From your description it sounds like you are running a RiscBSD 1.1 version of
bash with a 1.2 message catalogue.

Immediate thought is to make sure that you have installed the 1.2-beta bash
set.

If prob persists, let me know.

>Otherwise - RiscBSD's lovely - and must be more so, once the StrongARM'd
>version's around...

very very very soon ;-)

Cheers,
				Mark