Subject: Installing....
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave J Thorn <dave@axa.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/01/1996 13:58:27
Ok - it's time for my bi-annu8al post about installing RiscBSD.
Having had a succesful alpha installation my two or three attempts to
install the beta were thwarted by lack of disc space, the time required
to copy the discs over etc etc (all my fault I may add). I have now
decided to invest a reasonable amount of time and money in getting a
decent spec RiscBSD installation going.

My spec is as follows : 24+2MB RPC 600, 850MB + 425MB Conner dics, AKF60
monitor. I plan to extend this by buying a Yellowstone IDE card (Yes, I
know they aren't yet supported), with a cheap quad speed CD-ROM drive and
a cheap 540 MB disc. I will then switch my 850 disc onto the card, put
the 540 ion the internal, format it to 512MB, copy mthe contents of the
850MB disc onto that, reformat the 850MB with the new filecore fto 850 MB
and put the contents of the 540MB back onto that. This disc will then be
re-formatted as a RiscBSD disc using the whole (or as much as possible
below the 512MB barrier) disc for RiscBSD.

My questions are : Am I able to get hold of a CD-ROM with RiscBSD on it
(I know they are available from time to time but I would like a 1.2
release when it becomes available) ? If so, who do I conbtact for details ?

Dopes anybody have any comments on my ideas here (the CD will be copied
to the RiscBSD patitiona by UNixFRS). If anybody thinks they are
fundamentally flawed, can they suggest a way to do something similar for
say under 350 quid ? (The above comes to around 300).

How much of a change is the StrongARM going to cause - are we talking
just a new kernel or replacing/recompiling most of the programs/utilities.

I know this is long and has probably all been asked before but I would be
grateful for some assistance.
	Thankjs,

		Dave.

PS apologies for the typing - I am unfortunately using windows terminal
and the link to my machine keeps haning.