Subject: Re: X11 probs (was Re: Installing 1.2-beta)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/30/1996 10:59:54
On Sep 28, 12:31pm, Stefan Voss wrote:
> Subject: X11 probs (was Re: Installing 1.2-beta)
> 2. Only the 640x480 resolution works with X11. When I do a
>       setvideo -x 1024 -y 768 -c 4
>    to configure a 1024x768 (16 Color) mode the machine switches into the
>    correct mode when starting X11. This is the same mode and the same MDF
>    that I use under RiscOS. However the output is a completely unusable.
>    It's like watching an encrypted pay TV channel. The position of the
>    mouse cursor can only be estimated. fvwm menus bend to the left like
>    this:
>                    _______
>                    |     |
>                   |     |
>                  |     |
>                 |     |
>                 -------
>
>    The 80x24 character xterm (8x13 fixed font) that is started from my
>    .xinitrc covers the whole width of the screen instead of just about the
>    half width. It seems as if X11 thinks that a much smaller resolution is
>    active.
>
>    Any ideas what is happening?

4bpp isn't supported. If you try to use an unsupported number of bpp then X
will try to pick an alternative mode. It looks like X is picking an 8bpp mode
which your monitor can't handle. X currently supports 8bpp and 1bpp. 16bpp
should be supported by the end of October, 24bpp by Christmas and 4bpp by Q3 97
at a rough estimate. I still don't have a good scheme for doing 4bpp colour
mapping so any suggestions are welcome (otherwise you will get greyscale). Note
that X currently *thinks* it can handle 16bpp and 24bpp but in reality it can't
so you may lose your screen display completely if you try to use them.

Cheers

Rob