Subject: X11 probs (was Re: Installing 1.2-beta)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Voss <voss@yoda.in-berlin.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/28/1996 12:31:26
In message <4868@infotrek.demon.co.uk>
     David Croft wrote:

> [...]
>
> 1. Clicking on BOOT gives "Current kernels only support 8 bpp for booting",
> although the BtRiscBSD Screen mode reads "X1024 Y768 C256 F70". Changing
> the screen mode using the Display Manager lets it boot, but:
>
>    - at 1024x768 the screen is a mass of moving lines (illegible)
>    - at 800x600 the characters are there but are malformed (slightly better)
>    - at 640x480 everything is fine, but the screen is a bit small :-(

I think I have related problems. I'm still without VRAM, just upgraded to
1.2-beta and xarm21. I configured BtRiscBSD to reserve 1024K for video and
to boot into a 640x480 75Hz mode. I have a AKF85 monitor. The kernel is
4629.

1. During the boot process the machine switches into the configured 75Hz
   mode just for a short period. Just before the diagnostic messages start
   it switches into a 60Hz mode.
2. Only the 640x480 resolution works with X11. When I do a
      setvideo -x 1024 -y 768 -c 4
   to configure a 1024x768 (16 Color) mode the machine switches into the
   correct mode when starting X11. This is the same mode and the same MDF
   that I use under RiscOS. However the output is a completely unusable.
   It's like watching an encrypted pay TV channel. The position of the
   mouse cursor can only be estimated. fvwm menus bend to the left like
   this:
                   _______
                   |     |
                  |     |
                 |     |
                |     |
                -------

   The 80x24 character xterm (8x13 fixed font) that is started from my
   .xinitrc covers the whole width of the screen instead of just about the
   half width. It seems as if X11 thinks that a much smaller resolution is
   active.

   Any ideas what is happening?

> [...]

Regards,