Subject: Re: IDE vs. SCSI, URL with info
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/25/1996 23:51:57
Hello Kjetil!

In message <9609190528.AA14369@netsu002.oslo.Geco-Prakla.slb.com> you wrote:

> I also believe that the information in this URL is correct.
>
> After reading this, the conclusion to be drawn is that with
> a multitasking operating system like RiscBSD, Enhanced IDE
> or SCSI are the best solutions for the future.

I would treat it with a bit of care. Look at the other pages on the collection.
On one of them, they're trying to sell the Unified Memory Architecture as a big
achievement. But we Acorn users know that it's everything else but a good idea
to use main memory as video memory.

> This means that the internal IDE interface is not a very good
> option for the future, but a RapIDE or other IDE expansion
> card may be.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the combi controller IC used in the Risc PC (the
FDC37C665 from SMC) already contain an EIDE controller?
They might just not be using this capability. The second serial port which this
chip definitely has is also not used in the Risc PC. :-(