Subject: Re: Installing 1.2-beta
To: David Croft <david@infotrek.demon.co.uk>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/25/1996 17:00:50
> I've just got a 3.2 Gig Quantum Fireball, of which about 500Mb is allocated
> to RiscBSD. I'm trying to perform a fresh installation of 1.2-beta. I've
> got as far as step 23 in the instructions; I've rebooted without the RAM disk.
>
> However, when I run /usr/local/sbin/inst, I get the message:
>
> : whoami: not found
> : inst should be run as root
>
> which is interesting - I'm in single-user mode. Any idea what I'm doing
> wrong here?

  Ah, that's an easy one!

inst runs whoami to check that you're root, but whoami is in the base set.

  Bit of a chicken and egg do!

What I did was to create a fake whoami in /bin using "cat - > /bin/whoami"
The file contained something like this

#fake whoami file
echo root

( End typing it with a <ctrl>D )

  This fake whoami then lets you install the real one (which goes into
/usr/bin/whoami, so don't forget to delete the fake one!) by installing
the base set.

Ale.