Subject: IDE vs. SCSI, URL with info
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/19/1996 07:28:59
Previously there has been lots of talk about IDE vs. SCSI.

While scanning through HP's W3 pages I found an explanation
of the differences between *Enhanced* IDE and SCSI.
The URL is:
http://hpcc997.external.hp.com:80/gpcd/Tech/enh-ide.html

In the Risc PC TRM Acorn states:
"The Risc PC IDE ... interface is a PC-AT compatible interface.
it is virtually identical in terms of hardware and software to
the Acorn A5000 IDE interface."

I believe this means that the interface is the limiting factor when
it comes to performance and not the drives.

I also believe that the information in this URL is correct.

After reading this, the conclusion to be drawn is that with
a multitasking operating system like RiscBSD, Enhanced IDE
or SCSI are the best solutions for the future.

This means that the internal IDE interface is not a very good
option for the future, but a RapIDE or other IDE expansion
card may be.

At present the internal IDE interface is the choice, but I
believe that we will see enhanced SCSI drivers by the end of
this year (at least I hope so), and also some drivers for
the Enhanced IDE card(s) available.

It would be very nice to tell people who ask what to opt
for when buying new storage devices that "SCSI is the
best option *right now*".

Kjetil B.