Subject: Re: Problems with XView 3.2 libary
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/13/1996 09:28:24
On Sep 12,  6:48pm, Peter Berg wrote:
> Subject: Problems with XView 3.2 libary
> Hi,
>
> Now I got the xview libary to compile from the freebsd souces. Compilation
> was without errors but the libary seems to have some.
> For instance the icons will be displayed as rubbish and if I move the mouse
> in a xview linked program for every mouse movement something is written
> somewhere to the disc.
> There are some errors regarding some tty stuff too.
>
> It is possible that this only happens with the freebsd source and will go
> away if I use the netbsd port, or what ?

You didn't say which version of Xarm and the X libraries you're using. The
latter is particularly important.

> Does yet someone have any experience with this libary on riscbsd ?
>

> PS: I got the MesaGL libary (OpenGL replacement) to compile and work but the
> speed is somewhat of disapointing and even a StrongARM will make here not
> that difference that would be needed :((
> (if someone needs it I can upload it)
> If nothing will happen on this sector one day in the future my RiscPC
> will be replaced by a SparcStation ...

MesaGL still sucks (speedwise) on a SparcStation to not put too finer point on
it. The big problem with it is that it is built on top of X. If you want
something faster you need it integrated with the X server which means either
OpenGL or something custom. OpenGL costs big $ for the source license so we
would need to find a commercial company with an OpenGL license to do the port.
Given the number of RiscBSD users this isn't likely to happen for a while.
Unfortunately GL of any description relies heavily on FP....

Cheers

Rob