Subject: Re: Bootloader crashing with large disk
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/10/1996 08:31:16
> From: Chris Taylor <chris@sati.demon.co.uk>
> Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 09:24:21 GMT
>
> Undeterred by this public revelation of my incompetence, I think I have
> found a problem with /usr/local/sbin/inst when installing from scratch.
> When I ran it, it reported 'whoami: not found' and then complained that
> 'inst should be run as root'. I couldn't find 'whoami' either, and eventually
> got inst working by hacking the script about with ed. Is it me being daft
> again, or have I found a real buglet?

No, I think you are right. I seem to remember now that I ran into the
same problem.

I found other problems too, such as inst didn't seem to recognise
that I had already installed some of the sets.

The solution to this problem was to install the config set and
use rcm instead. This set includes a newer version of inst and
that is called from rcm.

> Another minor problem is that I copied all the sets into /usr/distrib using
> unixfs and then tried to install them all at once. Inst declined to install
> fvwm and nedit since it hadn't dealt with x11base, so I had to add them
> afterwards. Maybe they could be reordered or even respelled?

You have a point here. This should be looked into.

Kjetil B.