Subject: Bootloader crashing with large disk
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Taylor <chris@sati.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/08/1996 00:19:50
(A previous mail seems to have vanished without trace; apologies if this
is a duplicate)

I have just attempted to install RiscBSD 1.2-beta on my new Quantum Sirocco
2.55GB hard disk, and have fallen at the first hurdle.

Having run bb_riscbsd and configured the bootloader, I clicked 'BOOT' only
to be rewarded with a tasteful set of coloured bands at the top of an
otherwise grey screen. I have retried with various RISC OS partition sizes
between 0.5 and 2GB, and the same thing happens each time.
I have previously had 1.1-beta running on the same machine with a smaller
disk, but the same memory configuration.

Hform initially wouldn't format the whole thing, and ART kindly sent an
unreleased version. I suspect it failed because the total disk capacity in
bytes is higher than the capacity of a signed integer.
Might the bootloader have a similar capacity problem?

Initially the machine froze solid on my 20+2MB RPC 700 (mouse too), requiring
the Little Blue Button to unstick it, but having swapped my 4MB SIMM for
another 16MB one to give 32+2MB, it produces a RISC OS error box, reporting
"Undefined instruction at &00000014".
This does allow a Ctrl-Break reset. You still get the pretty stripes, though.

--
  _____
 /      /__  __   ,  __   Author of  *    | Any clod can have the facts,