Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New kernel (4626)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/05/1996 18:44:24
On Sep 5,  6:03pm, Ale Terlevich wrote:
> Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New kernel (4626)
>

> On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Mark Brinicombe wrote:
> > Something I should have perhaps announced a while ago.
> > I have had RiscBSD up and running in single user mode on a SA-110
>
>  Kernelwise, what's the difference between single and multi user mode?
>
>   I thought that the only difference was that only the root filesystem
> gets mounted (ro) and none of the subsystems/daemons get setup/run.
>
>   If this is the case, did you just not go into multiuser mode out of
> fear for your HD?

IIRC we tried but it crashed. Remember that multiuser mode uses a lot of bits
of the kernel which don't get used single-user (FP, networking, writing to
disk, paging out memory, etc) all of which are much more demanding on the VM
system (the main bit which has changed) than single-user mode. We only ran it
for long enough to verify that running benchmark programs with the data cache
crippled won't win any prizes :-)

Cheers

Rob