Subject: Re: Unsuccessful attempt on 1.2 beta scratch-installation
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/31/1996 02:06:41
> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 18:05:13 +0200 (MESZ)
> From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@rghx50.gp.fht-esslingen.de>
>
> On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen wrote:
>
>> I have now finally managed to install RiscBSD to my SCSI-disk.
>>
>> The problem I reported seems to be in the 1.2 kernels. None of
>> them are able to copy the floppy to the RAM disk.
>>
>> The solution was to use the old bootloader and the 4197 kernel.
>
> I can't confirm this. I just tried it yesterday night with the new
> bootloader from the 1.2-beta directory and kernel bsd-4444 and the boot
> floppy was loaded without any problem. OK it was the 1.1 boot floppy, but
> I don't see why this should make any difference.

No, the 1.1 boot floppy makes no difference, but the RAM configuration
does.

I tried the same installation procedure on my Friends Risc PC. It is
almost identical to mine except that he has 8+8 MB DRAM.

I started off with 32+16 MB, and now I have 32+32 MB.

With 32+16 MB I was able to boot with bsd-4444 once I had the
root file system ready.

Now that I have more memory, I am unable to boot at all with bsd-4444.
The boot process proceeds to the point where it checks the clock
and then panics with the following error message:
kmem_suballoc: bad status return of 3.
panic: kmem_suballoc
Stopped at _Debugger+0x10: ldmdb r11, {r11, r13, r15}
db>

I then type co<cr>

and is returned to the RiscBSD debug/monitor shell

> Sorry if I contribute a bit to this flaming atmosphere, but you are
> making a lot of noise telling that the 1.2 install procedure didn't work
> and that there was a major flaw concerning the usage of logical vs.
> physical harddisk layouts, and a day later you tell us that you were able
> to install RiscBSD.
> I start to ask myself if you made sure you didn't do anything wrong in
> the first place, especially as nobody has reported his unability to load
> the 1.2 boot floppy with recent kernels yet and it works for me?

I am doing things right as I made this work fine on a different
Risc PC with less RAM.

>> This kernel is compatible with my Acorn SCSI card, and when I
>> used this, I had no problems using the install program with
>> my SCSI drive.
>
> Later on you write that you are booting with bsd-4444 so obviously this
> one's also "compatible" with your SCSI card.

Sorry, I forgot to say that this kernel, compared to *earlier* kernels,
is compatible with my Acorn SCSI card. The problem I ran into with
earlier kernels was that it was hanging on my Acorn SCSI card.

>> I have now formatted / as 70 MB below the 512 MB barrier,
>> and /usr as almost 1500 MB above.
>
> Don't you want to give me a little of that? ;-) There's about 1 Meg left
> on my root and about 10 Meg left on my /usr. :-(

It is difficult to split a 2GB disk, but otherwise, no problem. :-(

>> In other words I am now up and running.
>
> Good!

Well, I was up and running until I upgraded to 64 MB memory.

I guess I have to try a later kernel even though I have an
EtherH card.

>> This must also be done for the distrib directory after
>> it has been created by /usr/local/sbin/inst if you are
>> going to use unixfs to transfer the sets.
>
> Please keep this in mind and make sure it makes its way into the install
> guide.

I will.

> As you have experience with installing to a SCSI drive connected
> to an Acorn card, I hope you will help to improve the installation guide
> for it.

I will.

Kjetil B.