Subject: Re: Copyright on RiscBSD documentation
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/31/1996 00:31:36
> From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
> Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 13:10:23 +0100
>
> On Jul 11, 10:54am, Neil A Carson wrote:
> > Subject: More news: RiscBSD documentation
>
> > I think to get RiscBSD going this lot will do fine; I don't have time to
> > do much other than overhaul the FAQ (a faster FPE is coming soon, though
> > only about a 30% increase...), so most of the writing is left to other
> > people. I don't care where the documentation comes from (Linux (well
> > maybe), etc.) as long as it does the job, and isn't copyrighted.
>
> Just a word on copyright. Under British (or at least English) law *everything*
> (at least in the context of documentation) is copyright regardless of whether
> or not that copyright is asserted. In the light of that it is always wise to
> get the permission of the author unless there is an explicit copyright notice
> permitting copying (in which case that copyright notice should be included).
> The RiscBSD documentation will be 'published' in Britain so I'm pretty sure
> that we need to comply with British law as a minimum.

The same is the case for Norway. Since we are RiscBSD users in Norway,
I presume that this documentation will, by definition, be published
in Norway too. At least this will be the case with the documentation
I will be contributing to.

> Cheers
>
> Rob
>
> PS That is a good reason to put a copyright notice on any documentation
> you write giving the redistribution conditions (or maybe we should come
> up with a generic copyright notice and list the contributors - for those
> who agree to it) because otherwise people can't know that they are safe
> in redistributing it. In fact that is one reason I put a copyright
> notice on the original FAQ.

I think that it would be a good idea as you say to give a generic
copyright notice and just list the contributors. Count me in.

Kjetil B.