Subject: Re: X11R6.1-Installation
From: Neil Hoggarth <neil.hoggarth@PHYSIOL.OX.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/30/1996 09:31:10
On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Jan-Uwe Finck wrote:

> I've just completed to get the X11R6.1-files for the 1.2 version of
> RiscBSD...
> But after installing the sets (including Xarm-21) I wasn't able to get
> startx working properly...
> I get errors like 'no X -server in PATH' and so on ...even after putting
> the /usr/X11R6.1/bin into my path...and into the .bash_profile-file...

There is a problem with the xarm21 set. It contains the Xarm-21
binary, which it puts in the directory /usr/X11R6.1/bin, and a symlink
for called Xarm, which points to /usr/X11R6/bin/Xarm-21. You need to
delete the Xarm symlink and make a new one which points it to the
right place (/usr/X11R6.1/bin/Xarm-21).

This problem crops up in at least one other place that I know of.  If
you use rcm from the current config set to reconfigure your X server
it looks for server binaries in /usr/X11R6/bin rather than
/usr/X11R6.1/bin.

Regards,

Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology
http://www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/~njh/                     Oxford University, UK