Subject: Re: NFS/NIS Probs
To: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
From: Rob Coward <ma2ric@BATH.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/25/1996 09:14:36
On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Markus Baeurle wrote:
> In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.960820231137.151B-100000@hydra.shs.net> you wrote:
>
> > I have a 486 running Linux with it configured as a NFS server and YP
> > server. My aim is to get RiscBSD mounting home directories from the
> > Linux server, and using YP NIS id's to login to those directories. The
> > first stumbling block is in the mounting of drives from the Linux server.
>
> That's what we're doing at the FH. Accounting and home directories are on a HP,
> Linux and FreeBSD systems act as clients.
>
> I don't know about the mounting problem.
> I'm not sure if you don't have to specify the type, ie.
> mount -t nfs hydra:/ /u/hydra

I've got the nfs problem sorted now, it was because Linux was using
secure ports, whereas RiscBSD by default uses insecure ports. I changes
the exports file on the linux machine to export using insecure ports and
it now works fine.

> > Secondly, under linux, it tells you to append +:*:0:0::: to /etc/passwd
> > and +:*:0: to /etc/group to make your NIS accounts available on the
> > client. When I tried adding similar lines in RiscBSD using vipw I get:
> >
> > vipw: rebuilding the database...
> > pwd_mkdb: line too long
> > pwd_mkdb: /etc/pw.000152: Inappropriate file type of format
> >
> > Any ideas what I should add to passwd and group under RiscBSD ?
> > I have /etc/defaultdomain setup, and ypbind is loading OK in the boot-up
> > sequence.
>
> OK on the FreeBSD boxes I use a simple
> +: for /etc/group
> and
> +::::::::: for /etc/master.passwd (ie in vipw).
> I think the system changes /etc/passwd itself when you leave vipw (or when
> building with 'pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd').
> I'm quite sure the format is the same for NetBSD.

I tried this suggestion, but it still gives the same message (see above).

> Btw, you might have to be careful about the encryption of the passwords. It
> didn't work on a FreeBSD box where the DES libraries were not installed because
> the HP uses DES for encrypting the passwords. I don't know exactly what Linux
> uses.

Any ideas how I might find out what Linux uses ?

Regards,
Rob.