Subject: Re: EtherH Cards
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/20/1996 17:26:55
>> Hi,
>> 	eh0 at podulebus0 [ netslot0 ]:1.2.
>> and then hangs the machine.
>
>  Put
>
>ehbug
>
>in your options section of the !RiscBSD bootloader. This turns off the
>bit that hangs the card. This will then enable you to boot.

Yep this will fix it. All the ehbug option does is bypasses the etherH memory
test code.
The problem is that certain etherH cards hang when you transfer more that 128
bytes in a single psuedo DMA operation. I have be told that this is due to a
problem with a particular revision of the ethernet chipset.

The memory test does larger transfers and thus can hang. In normal operation
transfers are limited to 128 bytes at a time due to the size of mbufs.

Cheers,
				Mark

--
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk